Alumni of The Affiliated Senior High School Of National Taiwan Normal University - USA / DC Chapter
Alumni of The Affiliated Senior High School Of National Taiwan Normal University - USA / DC Chapter
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 °ªº¸¤Ò²yªÀ(Golf Club)¡G®}¥@ªN(jhsu642956@aol.com)
 '08 168 Golf Club
 Tournament Format "0808"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hsu75

1755 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  16:32:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Tournament Format ¡°0808¡±

1. Two captains draft their teams. They will decide who picks up the first player by tossing a coin. They then take turns to pick up players for their teams. For example, if the Color team captain picks up players first, the Sequence would be: C, W, W, C, C, W, W, C, C, W ¡­..

2. The captains submit the paring information before the game. The pairing is primarily determined by Club-168 handicap. In general, low handicappers play with low handicappers, and high handicappers plays high handicappers. However, if any club member wants to play with or against specific members, the captain will decide whether the can be accommodated. For each pair of players, the captain decides who the Player A is and who the Player B is.

3. The tournament consists of both Match-play and Stroke-play. The handicap is taken into consideration in both Match-play and Stoke-play.

4. In Match play, player A of the color team plays against player A of the white team, and Play B of the color team plays against player B of the white team. The handicap difference (rounded to the closest integer) is used to determine the number of holes to give? For example, assume the handicap of color player A is 12.5 and the handicap of white player A is 16.6, the difference is rounded to 4 (16.6 - 12.5 = 4.1). Then for each of the four most difficult holes, color player A will give one stroke to white player A. Winner of each Match-play will be awarded one (1) point. Half point (0.5) is awarded to each player in the case of a halved match after 18 holes.

5. In stroke play, total net score of both players is used to determine the winner. The net score is the gross score minus Club 168 handicap, with one digit after the decimal point. For example, assume the net scores of players from white team are 72.5 and 76.4, respectively, with a total of 148.9; and the net scores of players from color team are 73.1 and 74.4, respectively, with a total score of 147.5. The color team wins (147.5 < 148.9). Two points are awarded to the winning team for Stroke-play. One point is awarded to each team in the case of even total scores.

6. To summarize, each team may score 0 - 4 points from each pair of players: one point for the Match-play between players A, one point from Match-play between players B, and two points for the total net score from the stroke-play.

7. The team with higher accumulated points wins.

8. Since each player plays the whole 18 hole, the score is used to update Club-168 handicap.

Edited by - Hsu75 on 10/19/2008 13:22:52

Hsu75

1755 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  00:06:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
James,

about the forthcoming tournament at Northwest this Saturday. Like to make a suggestion to change the match play rule as follows,

The current rule decides the number of holes that will be yielded by low hanicapped (e.g. 10) to high (e.g. 20) by the simple difference between their handicapps, i.e. 20-10 = 10 holes. As we all know, the fundamental difference between low and high handicaps are not their capabilities but consistency, in other words, high handicappers are more likely to blow up a hole, say tripple or quadrapple bogey. The current rule is fair and works fine in stroke play. However, in match play, a weight needs to be assigned to reflect the uniqueness of mathc play, the weight I have seen varies from .8 to .9. So, it will work like this, instead of yileding 10 holes due to the handicap difference, 10*.8 = 8 holes will be yielded instead.

Zhiwei

ZW:

Thank you for showing interests in our tournament format. I posted your suggestion on the web for discussion and reference. "Weight" for match play is a controversial issue (See Below). Before we have a decision, I suggest to leave to the captains to make the decision.

As matter of fact, the "Weight" was in the original proposal, and was taken out for simplicity of calculation. Since we usually put players with similar handicap in the 4-some. .8 or .9 of the difference most likely will result less than .5 hole difference.

Like you indicated, the argument "for" applying the weight:

The fundamental difference between low and high handicaps are not their capabilities but consistency, in other words, high handicappers are more likely to blow up a hole, say triple or quadruple bogey.

To counter this argument:

1."The fundamental difference between low and high handicaps are not their capabilities but consistency" is not true for the "Driver".

2: The current handicap is calculated by taking average of the best 10 scores of the latest 20 scores. By using the average of the best 10, and not using the average of all the latest 20, the current calculation has already discounted the "triple or quadruple bogey" effect.

James

Edited by - Hsu75 on 09/07/2008 09:02:29
Go to Top of Page

brentlin

212 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  08:25:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
James, being a real politician (and I wonder why Obama or McCain hasn't called yet) is siding with us mostly high handicappers. I can also tell what a low handicapper really wants is to win and a high handicapper only want not to lose.

Being a compromiser, I suggest a handicap difference discount of 0% for 0-9; 10% for 9+-18; and 20% for 18+-max. This may be too complicated, so I'm not favoring one way or the other.

Brent Lin

Brent:

That is what I always tell people "A low handicapper really wants is to win and a high handicapper only want not to lose".

The best scenario to exemplify this thinking is that Jason is only willing to give me 10 strokes (with weight) and always say "׌Äã12¸Ë(without weight), ÎÒ•þÚAµÃºÃÐÁ¿à". I still have fun playing with him, since ËûÐU¿´µÃÆðÎÒ, ÎÒ•þÓXµÃÓÐÃæ×Ó, Èç¹û²»Ý”, ºÜÓгɾ͸Ð. The key words are "ÚA", "Ý”" and "Ãæ×Ó".

James

Yes, I think I got the idea from you originally and I plead guilty to plagiarism.

Edited by - brentlin on 09/07/2008 10:13:12
Go to Top of Page

chen77

168 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  11:30:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I do not have any opinion on the format.
Go to Top of Page

Steven07

56 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  16:04:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
I think the 0808 format is fine.
The only concern I have is that my handicap should be 32 instead of 28. My gut tells me something is wrong.

Steven C. Chen

Steven:

Your concern is exactly what I addressed above: "The official handicap is calculated by average of the best 10 of your latest 20 scores". That is why your handicap is lower than your gut tells (Average of your latest 20 scores).

You must be a ÒªÑe×Ó person. For a ÒªÃæ×Ó person, handicap 28 would make him much prouder of himself than hadicap 32 when he talk to people about golf. For a ÒªÑe×Ó ÓÖ ÒªÃæ×Ó person, he will use 32 for competitive games but cite 28 when he talk to people about golf.

James

Edited by - Hsu75 on 10/19/2008 13:23:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Alumni of The Affiliated Senior High School Of National Taiwan Normal University - USA / DC Chapter © FC-DC.ORG Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000